When I was new on WordPress then I noticed that there is a category named “Uncategorized”. Basically Its a default category of WordPress. You can not just simply remove this category because, there is a little hard work to remove that “Uncategorized” category. Then I thought that there are many WordPress users might be annoying with this category just like me. So I try different ways to get rid of this category, obviously its really annoying. And guys I came up with this post, also with screenshots! Let’s get started.
Deleting “Uncategorized” Category in WordPress:
So what will you do? Will you just leave as it is? Or Want to change this or delete this category? I think you might be thinking to delete this. Ok, follow the instructions carefully to delete this “Uncategorized” category.
- First you need to create a new category. I typically create an “All” category. (Without a new category you cannot delete “Uncategorized”).
- Okay time to create a new category, for this go to Posts >> Categories >> add name >> add slug >> no parents, add new category.
- Here comes the best part, go to Settings >> writing.
- In writing you will notice that “Uncategorized” is a default category by WordPress and is automatically selected as the category that all posts are written to.
- For this “Click on uncategorized” and set it to your new category. (My category is All).
- “Uncategorized” is no longer a category, It’s time to totally get rid of this category.
- Go to Posts >> Categories >> Look for the uncategorized and delete it.
Note: Deleting a category does not delete the post in that category. Posts will be move to the default category.
I hope you like this post. Thanks for reading. Enjoy 🙂